Earlier this month, Google released its latest flagship phones, the Google Pixel 7 and Google Pixel 7 Pro. The new series of phones comes with several upgrades including high-end cameras. As you’d expect from a Pixel phone, the Pixel 7 delivers a smooth experience. However, if you want more features, you can root your phone. Here you will learn how to root Google Pixel 7 Pro and how to unlock Pixel 7 Pro bootloader.
Before moving on to the root and bootloader guide, let’s check its important specs first. Both phones come with a new finish in the camera bump which looks cool. The vanilla Pixel 7 is a 6.3-inch device while the Pro version is a 6.7-inch device. Pixel 7 Pro supports 120Hz refresh rate and QHD+ display resolution.
Both phones feature the latest Tensor G2 chip with enhanced AI capabilities, security, and more. The Pro variant has RAM options up to 12 GB while the Basic variant has up to 8 GB of RAM. The Pixel 7 has dual rear cameras of 50 MP wide and 12 MP ultra-wide sensors. And the Pixel 7 Pro has a 50 MP main camera, a 48 MP telephoto camera and a 12 MP ultra wide camera. Those are great specs, even for a flagship phone. Now let’s move on to the detailed guide.
This guide will work for both Pixel 7 and Pixel 7 Pro. As mentioned earlier, the Pixel 7 series comes with powerful hardware and amazing performance. There are always other ways to improve the device or even customize the phone. And rooting is the most advanced process that gives users full control over their phones. But to achieve the rooting process, you need to unlock the bootloader first. So let’s first see how to unlock the Google Pixel 7 Pro bootloader.
Unlock Pixel 7 Pro bootloader
By default, all phones come with a locked bootloader that prevents users from modifying the device at the root level. The restriction includes installing custom ROMs, custom recoveries, rooting, etc. Fortunately, Google allows unlocking the bootloader at the user’s risk. So, if you want to root your Pixel 7 Pro, you can do that after unlocking the bootloader. Let’s move on to the steps to unlock the bootloader on Pixel 7 and Pixel 7 Pro.
- Backup your Pixel 7 as unlocking the bootloader will erase all data. Make sure to install adb and fastboot drivers on your PC.
- On your phone, open Settings and go to System > About phone, then tap Build number 7 times. This will enable developer options.
- Now navigate to System > Advanced > Developer Options.
- In Developer Options, enable OEM Unlocking and USB Debugging.
- Boot your Pixel 7 into Quick boot mode. To do this, turn off your phone then press and hold the volume down + power buttons. Then connect your phone to the PC using a USB cable. You can also use adb restart bootloader ordered.
- Open the command/CMD window on your PC.
- Enter the command below to initiate bootloader unlock on Pixel 7.
- It will show the options on your phone. Use volume buttons and navigate to ‘Unlock bootloader‘ and press the power button to select it.
- This will unlock your Pixel 7 Pro bootloader and erase all data.
- After unlocking the bootloader, enter the below command to reboot the system
- You have now unlocked your Pixel 7 Pro bootloader.
After unlocking Google Pixel 7 bootloader, you have completed one main step. There is now one main step left to gain root access. Here are some helpful points for the rooting process.
- Install Magisk on your phone
- Make a full backup of phone data (to be restored in case something goes wrong)
- Install ADB and Fastboot Drivers on PC
- Download the latest Android SDK platform tools
- Download the factory image for Pixel 7/Pixel 7 Pro (the version should be similar to the one running on your phone)
Steps to Root Google Pixel 7 Pro
- Extract the boot image from the factory image you downloaded. Copy it boot.img in the phone memory. Do not copy it to any folder.
- Extract the platform tools zip on your PC and remember its location.
- Open the Magisk app and click Install.
- Now choose the ‘Select and Patch a File’ option and select the boot.img file.
- The patched output file will be saved in the To download case.
- Copy the patched boot image to the extracted platform tools folder and Rename the patched boot image in boot.img. Also, copy the vbmeta.img extracted firmware to the platform tools folder.
- Open CMD in the platform tools folder (type CMD in the file explorer address bar and press enter).
- Turn off your phone and start it in fast boot mode. Press and hold Volume Down + Power button together to boot into Fastboot mode.
- Once your Pixel 7 phone is in fastboot mode, enter the command below to flash vbmeta.
fastboot flash --disable-verity --disable-verification vbmeta vbmeta.img
- If it asks for a data wipe, do it. After that boot your phone into the patched boot image using the given command
- This command will boot your phone into the system. Open the Magisk app and click Install > Direct Install.
- Once the installation process is complete, click Restart.
- Your Pixel 7 phone will now boot with permanent root access.
So that’s all you need to do to get root access on your phone. You can check root access using any third-party root checker app. If you have root access, you can use any apps or features that require root permission. With root access, you can also use various Xposed modules after installing the Xposed framework.
So there you have it, the complete guide on how to root Pixel 7 Pro and how to unlock Pixel 7 Pro bootloader. In case of any questions, let us know in the comment section.
Want to learn more about iOS 16? Here is a new video on the new Apple operating system for the iPhone.
We want to say thanks to the author of this article for this remarkable material
How to Root Google Pixel 7 Pro and Unlock Bootloader
You can find our social media profiles , as well as other related pageshttps://www.ai-magazine.com/related-pages/